Established in 1935, Yellowdine is a small village now bypassed by the Great Eastern Hwy in Western Australia's Eastern Goldfields.
The town was initially planned in 1895 as a railway siding along the Coolgardie to Southern Cross railway line that was opened in 1896. Once gold was discovered at Mount Palmer close to Yellowdine in 1934 the government began to develop the siding as a town-site that was later gazetted in 1935. The now disused railway depot still stands alongside the Trans-Australian Railway which passes through the village. The name of the town is believed to be Aboriginal in origin, a misspelling of Yelladine.
Yellowdine is effectively a fuel stop point on the highway these days, with a roadhouse, and a handful of minor streets and buildings.
View Larger Map
Abandoned railway depot at Yellowdine, April 2018.
Image © Paul Rands
1 Australian Bureau of Statistics, Yellowdine SSC, 2016 Census QuickStats
Last updated: 03-Aug-2020 12:10
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.