Reid Highway & Roe Highway (State Route 3)
First proposed in the late 1960s as the North Perimeter Highway, Reid Highway is a major arterial highway in Perth, and runs between Marmion Avenue, North Beach, and West Swan Road, West Swan. The highway is both a two-lane single carriageway from Marmion Avenue to Erindale Road, and from Beechboro Road North to West Swan Road, and a four-lane dual carriageway between Erindale Road and Beechboro Road North. Click here for a document on stages 4 and 5 by project manager Paul Fisher.
Middle Swan Road:
State Route 3 once incorporated Middle Swan Rd which was a single carriageway, 2 lane roadway that acted as temporary link between the Reid Hwy and Roe Hwy, passing through suburbs such as West Swan, Caversham and Middle Swan. This is now a series of service roads north of Reid Hwy.
The Roe Highway is part of the Perth metropolitan area outer ring road system. It's a limited access dual carriageway and carries not just SR3, but also NH94 and NH95.
The Roe Highway was first proposed in 1955 by Gordon Stephenson as part of the Metropolitan Region Planning Scheme. It is named after John Septimus Roe, first Surveyor General of Western Australia. Click here for a document by Paul Fisher, one of the project managers for the Tonkin Hwy to Welshpool Rd section.
Multiplexes along the route include:
- 1986: Stage 1 constructed between Erindale Road and the Mitchell Freeway.
- 1989: Renamed Reid Highway in honour of former Governor Gordon Reid.
- 6 September 1991: Reid Highway from Alexander Dr to Malaga Dr opened. 1
- 11 November 1991: Reid Highway (Malaga Dr to Tonkin Highway) and Tonkin Highway (Benara Rd to Reid Highway) opened. 1
- 11 February 1992: Reid Highway from Tonkin Highway to Beechboro Rd and Alexander Dr to Mirrabooka Av opened. 1
- 6 September 1996: Reid Hwy extension from Wanneroo Rd overpass to Erindale Rd opened. 1
- 25 November 1996: Reid Hwy extension from Beechboro Rd to Great Northern Hwy opened. 1
- 2000: Works commenced to extend Reid Hwy from Mitchell Fwy to Marmion Av. The extension had been planned since 1963. 2
- 2001: Reid Hwy resurfaced using asphalt at Carine to reduce noise levels. 3
- 26 February 2010: The then ransport Minister Simon O’Brien opened the extension of Reid Highway from West Swan Road to Great Northern Highway. The $96 million project involved the construction of 2.6km dual carriageway between West Swan Road and Great Northern Highway in Middle Swan; the provision of a road underpass and service road to facilitate safe local access; and significant improvements to the signalised intersection at Great Northern Highway. It also involved building a new road bridge across the Swan River designed to accommodate four lanes of traffic; and a separate shared cycle and pedestrian path. 4
- June 2010: Construction of grade separated interchange with Alexander Dr commenced. 5
- 15 April 2011: Reid Highway interchange Alexander Drive opened to traffic, with Reid Highway running over Alexander Drive. 6
- 12 November 2011: Reid Hwy grade separated interchange with Mirrabooka Av opened to traffic. 7
- 2015: Work started on upgrading Reid Hwy to improve capacity. Works included 4.2km road widening between Marmion Avenue and Erindale Road to provide two lanes in each direction, and associated intersection upgrades, a new bridge over Mitchell Freeway, a new ramp from Reid Highway westbound to Mitchell Freeway northbound, traffic lights at Duffy Road South, traffic barriers to separate traffic from the shared path on the existing bridge over Mitchell Freeway, and a grade separated interchange at Malaga Drive / Reid Highway intersection. 8
- 2017: Upgrade works commenced at the Reid Highway and Altone Road intersection. The works provided an additional through-lane for Altone Road in each direction and extend turning pockets to Reid Highway. 9 Also work started to upgrade Reid Hwy between Altone Rd and West Swan Rd to dual carriageway, other work included installation of noise walls and a shared path along the route. 10
- August 2018: The first two bridges on Reid Highway between Beechboro Road North and Tonkin Highway opened to traffic as part of the NorthLink WA project. These bridges replaced the dual carriageway of the Reid Hwy between Beechboro Rd North and Tonkin Hwy, which will be absorbed into a westbound to southbound ramp when the interchange is completed. 11
- October 2018: A direct exit ramp from Lightning Park Recreation Centre to Reid Highway at Noranda opened to traffic. 12
- 1981: Work on Beechboro-Gosnells (Tonkin) Highway and Bushmead Road section commenced, opening 2 September 1983. Total length of 10 km. 1
- 23 November 1984: Bushmead Road to Great Eastern Highway was opened 1
- 1984: The third stage, linking Great Eastern Highway and Great Northern Highway opened in conjuction with the Great Eastern Highway Bypass opening.
- 14 December 1988: Roe Highway from Great Eastern Highway to Great Northern Highway opened. 1
- 25 July 1994: the highway was extended 2 km further southwards from Tonkin Highway to Welshpool Road. 1
- September 1995: Work on the Reid Highway extension from Wanneroo Road to Erindale Road began. 13
- September 1996: The section of Reid Highway from Wanneroo Road to Erindale Road is open to traffic. 13
- May 2001: The 8.5 kilometre extension of Roe Highway from Welshpool Road to Nicholson Road constructed. 14
- December 2002: Completion of the highway to the Kenwick Link. 14
- 2003: Completion of highway to Nicholson Road. 14
- September 2003: The importance of the Canning River and its surrounds to Nyoongar people and the larger Aboriginal community was recognised with the naming of the new Canning River twin bridges in Langford as ‘Djarlgarra’. The bridges were built as part of the Roe Highway Stages 4 and 5. 15
- 23 April 2004: Roe Highway Stage Six – linking Nicholson Road with South Street – was opened to traffic. 4 This extended Roe Highway to South Street, in Leeming. 16
- December 2004: Work started on Roe Highway Stage 7, to extend Roe Highway from South Street Leeming to Kwinana Freeway. 17
- 2006: Roe Highway Stage Seven – extended the highway from South Street through to the Kwinana Freeway, completed. 18
- 2010: Work begins on new interchange at the junction of Roe Hwy and Great Eastern Hwy. 19
- 8 June 2012: The new interchange at the intersection of Roe Highway and Great Eastern Highway officially opened. 19
- November 2014: Work starts on grade separation of Roe Hwy and Berkshire Rd at Forrestfield. 20
1 Main Roads WA
2 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Reid Highway to be extended west from Mitchell Hwy to Marmion Ave, 16 December 1998
3 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Smoother road for Reid Highway through Carine, 24 September 2001
4 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Reid Highway extension opened, 26 February 2010
5 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Milestone reached on new Reid Highway overpass at Alexander Drive, 28 November 2010
6 Brendan Cherry
7 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Reid Hwy/Mirrabooka Ave black spot eliminated, 12 November 2011
8 Main Roads Western Australia, Project Display, Reid Highway Works, 20 July 2015
9 Main Roads Western Australia, Projects, NorthLink WA, Works Begin at Reid Highway and Altone Road intersection, 31 August 2017
10 Main Roads Western Australia, Project Update, Reid Highway Dual Carriageway: Altone Road to West Swan Road, November 2017
11 Main Roads Western Australia, NorthLink WA Traffic Update, August 2018
12 Government of Western Australia, Lightning Park off-ramp to Reid Highway now open, 12 October 2018
13 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, New section of Reid Highway open to traffic ahead of schedule, 11 September 1996
14 Paul Fisher, project manager
15 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Aboriginal name for Canning River twin bridges, 19 September 2003
16 Roe7 Alliance
17 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Roe Highway Stage 7 extension gets go ahead, 9 December 2004
18 WA Department of Planning and Infrastructure
19 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Roe/Great Eastern interchange improves safety, traffic flow and transport efficiency, 8 June 2012
20 Government of Western Australia, Media Statements, Joint statement - Roe Highway/Berkshire Road interchange upgrade underway, 11 November 2014
Last updated: 21-Jan-2019 23:47
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.