Road Photos & Information: Victoria
||City Road, Alexandra Avenue, Olympic Boulevard, Swan Street, Wallen Road & Riversdale Road (Metropolitan Route 20)
- Length: 16 km
- Western Terminus: Montague St (MR30) and City Rd (MR30) at South Melbourne
- Eastern Terminus:Station St (MR47) and Riversdale Rd at Box Hill South
- Suburbs, Towns & Localities Along The Route: South Melbourne, Southbank, Melbourne, Richmond, Burnley, Hawthorn, Hawthorn East, Camberwell, Surrey Hills, Burwood and Box Hill South
- Road Authority Internal Classification: City Road (5325), Yarra Bank Highway (Olympic Blvd & Alexandra Av) (6240), Swan Street (5287), Wallen Rd (5856), Riversdale Road (5292) 1
Metropolitan Route 20 is an arterial route linking the inner CBD suburbs of Melbourne with the inner eastern suburbs.
The route feautres a tram line along about half of its length, and passes by AAMI Park and the Melbourne Cricket Ground and one of the sites of the 1956 Olympic Games. It also crosses the Yarra River twice.
Multiplexes along the route include:
- Tourist Drive 2 for 1.3 km between Southbank and Melbourne
- Metropolitan Route 21 for 500 m between Burnley and Hawthorn
- 1881: Erection of Wallen Road Bridge by Johnson & Co Tyne Foundry. Known originally as Richmond Park Bridge, then Swan Street Bridge before becoming Wallen Road Bridge.
- 1916: Wallen Road Bridge, strengthened and widen to allow the inclusion of tram traffic. 2
- 1936-38: The Wallen Road Bridge was again strengthened. At the same time an additional span was created on the Richmond side to accommodate the Yarra Boulevard (TD2) which was constructed as part of an unemployment relief scheme during the Depression. 2
- 1946: Construction begins on the Swan Street Bridge. 3
- 22 August 1952: Opening of Swan Street Bridge by Melbourne City Council. 3
- 1963: Installation of boom gates at the railway level ccrossing near Riversdale railway station at Camberwell. The boom gates are unusual because the arms are divided into two sections to enable clearance for the overhead tram wires. Boroondara City Council, History & Heritage, Outer Circle Railway Anniversary Trail, 8. Riversdale Station
- 1989: Introduction of Metropolitan Route 21. 1
- November 2006: Renaming of Swan St between Batman Av and Punt Rd to Olympic Blvd to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1956 Olympic Games, which was held in Melbourne. 4
- 2009: Upgrade of Swan Street Bridge by Cut & Fill civil engineers. The upgrade included underpinning the bridge foundations, replacing approach slabs on the south side and replacing existing expansion joints. The landscaping and retaining walls were also upgraded. 5
Advance Directional Sign:
AD sign with incorrect inverted NH20 shield on City Rd (MR20) approaching Southbank Blvd at Southbank, January 2006.
Image © Tim Cole
Advance irectional Sign:
AD sign near Linlithgow St in Melbourne, November 2005.
Image © Rob Tilley
||Advance Directional Sign:
AD sign with variable traffic conditions panel on Alexandra Av (MR20 / TD2) in Melbourne approaching Alexandra Av (TD2) and Swan St (MR20), November 2005. MR20 turns left at this junction.
Image © Rob Tilley
1 Viseth Uch
2 Heritage Victoria, Victorian Heritage Database, Wallen Road Bridge, 7 May 2012
3 The Argus Newspaper, 23 August 1952
4 City of Melbourne, News and Media Centre, Olympic Boulevard cements Melbourne's 1956 legacy, November 23, 2006
5 Cut & Fill, Projects, Swan Street Bridge
Last updated: 22:16:17 5/6/2016.
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.