Road Photos & Information: South Australia
|| Horrocks Highway & Barrier Highway (A32)
- Length: 420 km (Barrier Hwy total in NSW (A32) and SA (A32): 1007 km)
- Northern Terminus: NSW border in Cockburn
- Southern Terminus: Interchange with Gawler Bypass (Sturt Highway) (A20) and Horrocks Highway (unnumbered), Gawler
- Miscellaneous: Continues into New South Wales as A32, where it eventually continues as the Mitchell Highway, then Great Western Highway, before terminating at Glenbrook, with M4 in Sydney
- Suburbs, Towns & Localities along route: Gawler, Giles Corner, Riverton, Saddleworth, Burra, Peterborough, Oodla Wirra, Yunta, Mannahill, Olary and Cockburn
- Multiplexes: B64 B82
- Road Authority Internal Classification: 03160 (Gawler to Giles Corner), 03400 (Giles Corner to SA-NSW Border) 1
Horrocks Highway (formerly Main North Road) is a major arterial route linking Adelaide and the Flinders Ranges and Port Augusta area.
The Barrier Highway heads north from Giles Corner into the mid-north of South Australia. The highway also passes through the Nackara Range, and heads north-easterly direction eventually reaching Cockburn, which is located on both the SA/NSW border - split in half by the actual border. The highway is named after the Barrier Ranges which are located near Broken Hill.
Multiplexes along the route include:
- B64, for 7 km, at Burra
- B82, for 40 km, between Gawler and Giles Corner
- 7 November 1968: The official opening of the Barrier Highway in South Australia by the Minister of Roads and Transport, Mr Murray Hill, MLC - The ceremony marked the completion of bituminous sealing for 320 miles (515 km) between Adelaide and Broken Hill, and the last stretch of road completed between Terowie and Cockburn. The roadwork had commenced in 1961 and included 19 bridges. Commissioners of all six State Road Authorities including the South Australian Highways Commissioner, John Yeates, attended the opening ceremony. At Yunta a two tonne stone with a bronze plaque commemorates the opening of the Barrier Highway.
- May 2005: Re-alignment of road surface curves and the sealing of the existing shoulder, between Templers and Tarlee. 2
- March 2008: Local council votes in favour to support the dual naming of the portion of Main North Road in the Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council area to include the name ‘Horrocks Highway’. 3
- September 2012: Extension of over 60 drainage structures and installation of around 500 metres of guard rail on the Barrier Highway between Yunta and Oodlawirra. 4
- June 2014: Work started on widening of a 22 kilometre section of the highway between Hallett and Terowie, to allow for the installation of sealed shoulders. 5
- January 2019 : Work commenced on intersection upgrades at the corner of Barrier Hwy & Copperhouse Rd near Burra. Works included increasing turning paths to accommodate 36.5 metre vehicles, staggering of Copperhouse Road and Springbank Road intersecting roads, realignment of the approach to Copperhouse Road onto the Barrier Highway, construction of a turning lane for north bound traffic entering Copperhouse Road and the installation of guard rail and signage. 6
1 Location SA Map Viewer
2 Transport SA
3 Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council, Ordinary Meeting of Council, Minutes, 17 March 2008
4 Government of South Australia, Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure, News, Safety works on Barrier Highway, 12 Sep 2012
5 Government of South Australia, Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure, News, Wider shoulders for Barrier Hwy, 17 Jun 2014
6 Regional Council of Goyder, Barrier Highway / Copperhouse Road
Last updated: 05-May-2019 16:51
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.