Road Photos & Information: Queensland
- Length: 201 km
Terminus: Leichhardt Hwy (A5) (former NR39) and Gore Hwy (NH39 / A5) at Goondiwindi
Terminus: Warrego Hwy (A2) and Anzac Av at Newtown in Toowoomba's western suburbs
- Miscellaneous: Continues as National Highway 39 through Goondiwindi to the NSW / QLD border
- Suburbs, Towns
& Localities Along The Route: Newtown (Toowoomba), Harristown, Drayton, Westbrook, Athol, Southbrook, Pittsworth, Yarranlea, Pampas, Millmerran, Captains Mountain, Millmerran Downs, Cypress Gardens, Forest Ridge, The Pines, Wattle Ridge, Bull Creek, Wyaga and Goondiwindi
- Road Authority Internal Classification: 28A (Toowoomba to Millmerran) & 28B (Millmerran to Goondiwindi) 1
A39 is a major highway route linking the Darling Downs farming area, and the city of Toowoomba with Goondiwindi and New South Wales.
Consisting of mostly rural highway standard, the route passes through mostly farming, residential and commercial zones.
The Gore Highway is named after two brothers, George & Ralph Gore. They established Yandilla station between Pittsworth and Millmerran, which the highway passes through. 2
Multiplexes along the route include:
- Tourist Drive 1, for 1.3 km between Harristown and Drayton
- State Route 82, for 15 km between Millmerran and Pampas
- Feburary 1993: Main route for Goondiwindi to Brisbane traffic moved from Cunningham Hwy to Gore Hwy, providing a more superior alignment. The Gore Hwy was renumbered from State Route 85 to National Highway 85
- 2005: National Highway 85 replaced by A39.
- 14 February 2012: Construction of turn lane for eastbound traffic at the junction of Gore Hwy and Toowoomba-Karara Rd (Old Wyreema Rd) at Drayton. Works also included new street lighting and upgraded delineation. 3
- 2019: Western bypass of Toowoomba town centre between Athol and Charlton opened to traffic as part of the Warrego Hwy / Toowoomba Bypass works.
Click here for photos of the route signposted as National Highway 85
1 Transport and Main Roads, Queensland state-controlled roads and region maps, Darling Downs Region: back
2 Michael Greenslade, Australian Towns, Cities & Highways, Gore Highway
3 Queensland Government, Ministerial Media Statements, $710,000 upgrade for Gore Highway, 14 February 2012
Last updated: 31-Dec-2019 20:58
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.