Road Photos & Information: New South Wales
||Mitchell Highway (B71) - Historic Photos
- Length: NSW: 337 km
- Northern Terminus: NSW / QLD Border north of Barringun
- Southern Terminus: Barrier Highway (NR32) / Mitchell Highway (NR32) intersection
- Miscellaneous: Continues as Mitchell Highway (A71) to Charleville QLD and continues as Mitchell Highway (A32) from Nyngan NSW.
- Suburbs, Towns & Localities along route: Nyngan, Girilambone, Coolabah, Byrock, Bourke, Enngonia and Barringun
- Road Authority Internal Classification: HW7 1
The Mitchell Highway, named after Major Thomas Mitchell, who was Surveyor-General of New South Wales in the 1820s and explored much of inland New South Wales and Victoria.
The route consists of typical NSW rural highway standard, undivided single carriageway.
- 1930s: Formation of the route to Bourke. 2
- 1958: Reconstruction between Bourke and Queensland border and bitumous surfacing construction for 13 miles in the Bourke area. 2
- 1965: Further reconstruction and sealing between Bourke and Queensland, in various sections, as required, eventually totalling 67 miles. 2
- 5 November 1968: Reconstruction of Mitchell Hwy north of Bourke completed. Works included sealing of road southwards from the Queensland Border to Enngonia and works on a deviation immediately south of Enngonia. 3
- October 1969: Works begin on reconstruction and bitumen Sealing of the Mitchell Highway north of Bourke. Construction took place between 20 miles and 40 miles north of Bourke. 4
- 6 November 1972: Completion of sealing along entire length of Mitchell Hwy, with the finalisation of sealing along an 85 mile length from Bourke to Queensland Border. 2
- 2013: Introduction of B71 route number as part of the alphanumeric route numbering scheme rollout.
This page concentrates on historic photos of Mitchell Highway between Nyngan and the Queensland Border
Timber fingerboard assembly at North Bourke at the junction with Hungerford Rd, 1972. The Mitchell Hwy turns left at this intersection.
Image from National Library of Australia, object number 141638998
1 NSW Government, Roads and Maritime Services, Schedule of Classified Roads and Unclassified Regional Roads, April 2017
2 Department of Main Roads, The Roadmakers, A History of Main Roads in New South Wales, ISBN 0 7240 0439 4
3 Western Herald, Mitchell Highway Bitumen Sealed Between Enngonia and Barringun, 1 Nov 1968
4 Western Herald, Construction of Mitchell Highway North of Bourke, 10 Oct 1969
Last updated: 21-Dec-2019 21:22
This site ©
Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.