New South Wales
Photo Gallery

New South Wales Road Photo Gallery:
National Route 1 (Princes Highway)

The northern terminus of the National Route 1 section of the Princes Hwy is at the connect with the Southern Fwy at Yallah, several kilometres south of Wollongong. The NSW southern terminus is located at the NSW / Vic border, which is 48 km south of Eden.

The remaining part of NR1, from Yallah to Waterfall (on Sydney's Outskirts) takes in the Southern Freeway (F6) and Mount Ousley Road. In Sydney NR1 is replaced with Metroad 1. NR1 is duplexed with SR157 from Lake Entrance Road interchange at Oak Flats to the junction with Tongarra Road at Albion Park Rail.

Major routes connecting / intersecting with the highway between Yallah and the NSW-Vic border include: Southern Freeway (NR1) at Yallah, Illawarra Highway (NR48) at Albion Park Rail, Tongarra Road (SR157) at Albion Park Rail, Lake Entrance Road (SR157) at Oak Flats, Shellharbour Road (SR151) at Dunmore, Cambewarra Mountain Road (SR79) at Bomaderry, Kings Highway (NR52) at Batemans Bay, Snowy Mountains Highway (NR18) at Bega. Towns and localities along the route include Yallah, Albion Park Rail, Dunmore, Bombo, Kiama, Gerringong, Berry, Bomaderry, Nowra, Milton, Ulladulla, Batemans Bay, Mogo, Moruya, Narooma, Cobargo, Bega, Pambula and Eden.

Click here to skip the history section and use an interactive map of the highway which links to photos and more Princes Highway information.

Background:

The Princes Highway starts in Sydney at Broadway and City Road in the suburb of Chippendale, and heads south through Sydney's southern suburbs to the Illawarra region of New South Wales and the city of Wollongong. It continues south, through the Shoalhaven and South Coast of New South Wales, passing through towns such as Nowra and Batemans Bay, and finally crossing the border into Victoria just south of Eden.

In Victoria the highway travels through and around towns such as Cann River and Orbost, and then passes through the Gippsland region, the Latrobe Valley and continues heading west into the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne, to Dandenong in several cases known as the Princes Freeway. While the road continues, the name subsequently changes to Dandenong Road and Queens Road, which terminates at Kings Way in central Melbourne. It then leaves Melbourne as the Princes Freeway, before becoming the Princes Highway again in the Geelong area. Traffic traveling through Melbourne generally don't use the section known as the Princes Highway to pass through the city, so the route between Dandenong and the CBD is numbered ALT-NR1. Most traffic uses the Monash Freeway (M1) which travels from the Princes Freeway in the eastern outskirts of Melbourne before connecting to the CityLink tollway and West Gate Freeway. The Princes Freeway name then reappears in the western outskirts connecting Melbourne to Geelong.

Through Geelong, and still heading generally west, the highway passes through Colac, before reaching Warrnambool. The Princes Highway then eventually passes through Portland before crossing the border into South Australia at Mount Gambier.

At Mount Gambier the highway head northward and is also known as the Jubilee Highway in the Mt Gambier area. Eventually the highway hits Murray Bridge and skirts its way around the town and over the Murray River into Adelaide. Beyond, Port Wakefield Road links Adelaide to the small industrial town it was named after, Port Wakefield, before the Princes Highway returns, and the highway continues north again from Port Wakefield to Port Augusta.

History:

The formation of the Princes Hwy comes about due to existing roads being re-named ‘Princes Highway’ after the visit to Australia in 1920 of the Prince of Wales (later to become King Edward VIII, and after abdicating, the Duke of Windsor). The highway was officially opened in August 1920 at Warragul, Victoria.

  • 1834: Bulli Road laid out by Major Mitchell
  • 1844: a pass up the Illawarra Escarpment was discovered by Captain Westmacott. This became known as Westmacott's Pass and later Bulli Pass. It was the main entry to the Illawarra from the north. In 1868 a wheeled vehicle was taken up Bulli Pass.
  • 1858: First bridge over Macquarie Rivulet at Albion Park Rail.
  • 1860: a site for the bridge over Mullet Creek was selected by the architect, Mr Weaver. In August the following year the bridge was opened, it was built of local timber and was twenty feet wide. It was hoped that this structure would be permanent but photos from later years show the ford still in use and another bridge was under construction in 1890.
  • 1872: First bridge over Minnamurra River at Dunmore.
  • 7 June 1926: the Princes Highway comes under a federal and state government £ for £ funding scheme, thus recognizing the importance of the highway as major route.
  • 1881: construction of the Nowra Bridge over the Shoalhaven River
  • 1927: The Princes Highway was laid through Unanderra as a bitumen road.
  • 1931: highway moved from route through Oak Flats and Shellharbour to Albion Park to Dunmore route, click here for more information.
  • 1932: completion of steel truss and bascule lift span bridge over the Wagonga River at Narooma.
  • 1935: construction of prestressed concrete bridge at Dignams Creek.
  • 1936: construction of deviations built between Nowra and Batemans Bay, other deviations in this period include various sites including Tomerong, Stewarts and Luncheon Creeks, Myrtle Gully, Conjola, Ulladulla (East Lynne to Batemans Bay), straightening of highway between Nowra and Batemans Bay, including 22 new concrete bridges in that section.
  • 1939: by the middle of the year, 300 miles (or 50% of the then highway) had been paved with bitumous surface.
  • 1950: completion of road upgrade between Batemans Bay and Moruya.
  • 1955: opening of steel girder and concrete bridge over Jerramadra Creek near Batemans Bay.
  • 21 November 1956: bridge built by the Department of Main Roads over the Clyde River at Bateman's Bay was officially opened for traffic by the Hon. J. B. Renshaw, M.L.A., Minister for Local Government and Minister for Highways. The bridge replaced the only remaining vehicular ferry on the Princes Highway between Sydney and the Victorian border. Click here for more information.
  • 1981: duplication of Nowra Bridge.
  • November 2005: North Kiama Bypass was officially opened on Saturday 26 November 2005. The road was opened to traffic on Monday 28 November.
  • 2007: commencement of construction of a new crossing of the Pambula River. Also commencement of construction of the new section of the Princes Highway between Oak Flats and Dunmore.
Length:
430 km
Route Numbers: duplexed with
Forthcoming Alphanumeric:
Sources: Wollongong City Library, Shellharbour City Council, Main Roads Journal Vol. XXII, No. 2, December, 1956, DMR's The Roadmakers and the NSW Roads and Traffic Authority.

Click on a region below to see photos and information on that section of road.