Road Photos & Information: International: New Zealand
State Highway 1 - Former Alignment (Taupo)
- Length: 2047 km (North Island: 1106 km)
- Northern Terminus:
- North Island: Cape Rēinga, 900 m southeast of Cape Rēinga Lighthouse, Northland
- Southern Terminus:
- North Island: Broadway and Stewart Duff Dr, Miramar
- Miscellaneous: SH1 is split in two between the north and south islands
- North Island roads that form the route: Cape Rēinga Road, Far North Road, North Road, Matthews Avenue, South Road, Great North Road, Kamo Bypass, Western hills Drive, Otaika Road, Waipu Bypass, Rodney Street, Brown Road, Auckland Road, Northern Gateway Toll Road, Auckland-Waiwera Motorway, Northern Motorway, Southern Motorway, Waikato Expressway, Great South road, Gordonton Road, Avalon Drive, Avalon Drive Bypass, Lincoln Street, Greenwood Street, Kahikatea Drive, Lorne Street, Normandy Avenue, Cobham Drive, Cambridge Road, Tirau Road, Main Road, Tirau Street, Taupo Street, Swanston Street, Taupo Bypass, Mataroa Road, Hautapu Street, Mangawharariki Road, Milne Street, High Street, Bridge Street, Dundas Road, Wellington Road, Russell Street, Johnston Street, Levin Road, The Avenue, Oxford Street, Main Highway, Main Road North, Amohia Street, Main Road South, St Andrews Road, Mana Esplanade, Johnsonville Porirua Motorway, Centennial Highway, Wellington Urban Motorway, Vivian Street, Wellington Inner City Bypass, Kent Terrace, Sussex Street, Rugby Street, Ellice Street, Dufferin Street, Paterson Street, Taurima Street, Ruahine Street & Calabar Road
- Suburbs, Towns & Localities Along Route:
- North Island: Cape Rēinga, Whāngārei, North Shore, Auckland, Manukau, Hamilton, Taupo, Porirua and Wellington
- Current: None
State Highway 1 is the main route throughout New Zealand, covering both the north and south islands.
The route is a mix of 2-laned rural highway, multi-laned urban arterial road, expressway and motorway standards. It passes through rural, commercial and industrial zones as well as through forested areas. The route is paved the entire length. A 7km section of the route is tolled (Northern Gateway Toll Road). 1
||Advance Direction Sign:
AD sign at Taupo on Lake Tce (former SH1) approaching Napier-Taupo Rd (former SH5), September 2016.
Image © Dean Sherry
1 New Zealand Transport Agency, Roads & Rail, Toll Roads, Where The Toll Roads Are
Last updated: 27-Dec-2016 23:03
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.