Geeveston is a small town on the Kermandie River, and tributary of the Huon River. The town's name is derived from William Geeves, an English settler who was given a land grant in the area, which was then known as Lightwood Bottom, after a type of timber common to the area. The settlement Geeves set up was renamed Geeves Town in 1861, and the name eventually became Geeveston.
Geeveston is the gateway to the Hartz Mountains National Park. It is the centre of Tasmania's apple and fruit-growing industry, and has also been highly reliant on the timber industry since the late 19th century. Other attractions include The Forest & Heritage Centre, a tourist centre which covers the history of the timber industry in the area. Also nearby is the Tahune AirWalk walkway located in the Tahune Forest area, around 29 km from Geeveston.
View Larger Map
|Geeveston Town Centre:
View St leading down to Geeveston town centre, 2008.
Image © Jamie Scuglia
1 Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 Census QuickStats
Last updated: 01-Dec-2019 0:12
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.