Cygnet is under an hour's drive from the Tasmanian capital, Hobart. The bay on which Cygnet sits was named 'Port des Cygnes' (Port of Swans) by French navigator Bruni D'Entrecasteaux in 1793, because he observed a large number of black swans in the area.
The first European settler in the district arrived in 1834 after receiving a grant for three hundred and twenty acres of land on the north side of Port Cygnet in 1829. In 1840 the township of Port Cygnet was surveyed. Land was advertised for sale to the public in 1848. The Post Office opened on 1 January 1854. The town was known as Port Cygnet until 1895, Lovett until 1915 and then Cygnet.
View Larger Map
|Cygnet Town Centre:
View of the Cygnet town centre and town hall, 2008.
Image © Jamie Scuglia
1 Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 Census QuickStats
Last updated: 30-Nov-2019 22:39
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.