Australian Towns & Cities
New South Wales: Nyngan
Incorporating photos and Information from Michael Greenslade's former Australian Towns, Cities and Highways site

Nyngan is located in north-western NSW, adjacent to the Bogan River and at the major road junction of the Barrier and Mitchell Highways. The town name has Aboriginal origins, meaning "long pond of water".

Nyngan was settled in the mid 1850's as a coach terminus but the town didn't grow until the Dubbo-Bourke railway line was re-routed through Nyngan. Today the town serves as the regional centre for the vast surrounding wheat and sheep industries. The town centre is interesting - Pangee Street is lined with shops and activity - also of interest is the helicopter in the park adjacent to the railway station which is a permanent reminder of the disastrous floods which were prominent in 1990.


View Larger Map

Preview: Description:
NEW Nyngan Town Centre:
Pangee St, Nyngan, December 2003.

Image © Michael Greenslade

NEW Nyngan Town Centre:
Looking northwest on Pangee St, Nyngan, December 2003.

Image © Michael Greenslade

NEW Davidson Park:
Entrance gates to Davidson Park in Nyngan, December 2003.

Image © Michael Greenslade

NEW Davidson Park:
The helicopter in the park next to the railway station, Nyngan, December 2003.

Image © Michael Greenslade

NEW Bogan River:
The Bogan River, looking south in Nyngan, December 2003.

Image © Michael Greenslade

1 Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 Census Quickstats

Last updated: 10-Dec-2020 23:54

This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.