Gilgandra, located in central western New South Wales, lies along the Castlereagh River and at the key geographical position where the Newell, Oxley and Castlereagh Highways all intersect.
Established in the mid 1880's after a bridge was built over the Castlereagh River, the town became the centre for the local primary industries (sheep, cattle and pig farming primarily). Growth occurred, similarly with Coonamble to the north when the railway line was extended north from Dubbo. From WW1, the town became affectionately known as the Home of the Coo-ees after several men had to march to Sydney after receiving no army support to enlist for recruitment.
The town is quite pleasant, has a colourful CBD and unusual shape as it parallels the Castlereagh River - also remains an important stop for motorists considering its key position. The town's name has Aboriginal origins, meaning 'long waterhole'.
View Larger Map
Castlereagh Hwy (Miller St), near the war memorial, approaching Oxley Hwy in the Gilgandra town centre, October 2004.
Image © Jamie Scuglia
1 Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 Census QuickStats
Last updated: 11 Nov 2019 13:47
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.