Photos & Information: New South Wales
||Gwydir Highway (National Route 38) (Decommissioned)
- Length: 565 km
Terminus: Pacific Hwy (NR1) at South Grafton
Terminus: Castlereagh Hwy (NR55) at Walgett
- Suburbs, Towns
& Localities Along The Route: South Grafton, Ramornie, Jackadgery, Glen Elgin, Shannon Vale, Glen Innes, Matheson, Elsmore, Inverell, Little Plain, Delungra, Warialda, Gravesend, Biniguy, Pallamallawa, Moree, Bullarah, Collarenebri and Walgett
- Road Authority
Internal Classification: HW12 1
- Decommissioned: 2013
National Route 38 is a rural highway in northern New South Wales, which connects the north coast with outback NSW. For the most part it's undivided, except in a handful of spots.
It runs parallel with the Gwydir River, and is named after Lord Gwydir by Alan Cunningham who crossed the river at Gravesend in 1827.
Multiplexes along the route include:
- National Highway 15, for 150 m at Glen Innes
- National Highway 39, for 400 m at Moree
- State Route 91 for 200 m at South Grafton
- State Route 95, for 2 km at Warialda
- Tourist Drive 22 for 200 m at South Grafton
- 1858: The section between Moree and Warialda was marked on a Post Office Department Map. 2
- 1895: Most of the route, between Moree and Grafton was marked on a map of Railway and Coaching Routes. 2
- 1906: The road to Mogil Mogil was in official records. 2
- July 1928: The route was proclaimed the Gwydir Highway. 2
- 1930s: A comprehensive improvement program was undertaken by the Department of Main Roads (DMR) with resources directed towards the newly classified State Highways. Improvements to the Gwydir Highway included improvement of the westernmost section between Warialda and Biniguy, and a bridge over the Gwydir River (1928-30) and a re-routing of the road across the mountainous country between Glen Innes and Grafton. 2
- 1959: Construction begins on Jackadgery Bridge over Mann River at Jackadgery. 3
- 9 December 1960: Official opening of the deviation between Grafton and Glen Innes by Robert James Heffron, who was an Australian Labor Party premier of NSW from 23 October 1959 to 30 April 1964.
- 7 October 1961: Jackadgery Bridge opens to traffic. The bridge replaced a low level timber bridge. 2
- 1965: Construction of the bridge over Orara River at Ramornie. 2
- 4 May 1966: Bridge over Orara River opens to traffic. The bridge replaced a low level timber bridge. 2
- 2003: Widening of 5.5km section, 18km west of Warialda near Gravesend. 4
To view a section of the route, click inside the relevant box on the map below.
1 Roads & Traffic Authority, Schedule of Classified Roads and State & Regional Roads, January 2011
2 Department of Main Roads, The Roadmakers, A History of Main Roads in New South Wales, ISBN 0 7240 0439 4
3 National Library of Australia, Catalogue, Construction of Jackadgery Bridge, New South Wales, 1959 / Thiess Bros. Pty Ltd.
4 Roads & Traffic Authority, Road activity update, Northern NSW, May 2003
Last updated: 12-Jul-2019 10:12
This site © Paul Rands. All rights reserved. Some portions © (copyright) by their respective and credited owners. Permission must be obtained before using any images from this site. For details, please email by clicking here.